Character Creation Vol.3 – Texturing
Following Volume 1: Modeling and Volume 2: Rigging. This third installment of the Character Creation series completes the character, making it ready to function in a pre-rendered game cutscene or short film!
The DVD will introduce you to many of the fundamental tools and techniques, as well give an overview of the final character for reference, before diving into the main chapters. Learn how to set up a base scene to build the character textures within. Paint your own textures in the open source software GIMP to create a believable face, and create shaders for the clothing, armor, weapons and accessories. All matching to a design by David Revoy, Art Director of Sintel. By completion you’ll have applied final color correction and set up a promotional scene for a stunning result!
Follow along with every second recorded and all tools and techniques explained. With the final character being under the creative commons license, you can use or edit it for your own personal and commercial projects!
Read Terry Wallwork’s review on BlenderNation.com – “As with the other volumes the production values on the videos are very good. Lee uses a combination of realtime video instruction and time lapse video when needed. The vast majority of the video content is recorded in realtime. –Seriously, brilliant videos, just like all his other volumes and well worth getting if you can.”
– Review Score 95%
This DVD uses the ‘Blender Internal’ for it’s rendering, but for those interested in the upcoming ‘Cycles’ renderer we’ll have a small companion DVD coming after this!
Watch the Teaser!
- Instructor: Lee Salvemini
- Video Info: 8 hours total duration, 1280 x 768 resolution, Mp4 format.
- Software Used: Blender 2.6 (Internal Renderer), GIMP
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Every single second of the creation process recorded.
- Full narration for every chapter, with complete explanation of methods and techniques.
- Various visual cues, such as: Zooming to smaller menus on the screen, hot-key pop ups, buttons and areas of interest highlighted, efficient mix of timelapse and real-time video.
- All chapters include stepped .blend files so you can follow along and research a chapter mid-creation.
- Character design by David Revoy, Art Director of Sintel
- Final character model, rig and textures included under the Creative Commons license.
- Introduction to Blender 2.5+
- Base lighting and studio setup
- Head Mask
- Torso: Part 1 - Main Suit
- Torso: Part 2 - Shoulder Pads with Stitching
- Torso: Part 3 - Leather Trim and Torso Fabric
- Hands and Hand Guards
- Belt: Part 1 - Main Utility Belt
- Belt: Part 2 - Pockets and Straps
- Tabi (Shoes)
- Skull Crest/Horn
- Metallic Buttons and Accessories and Armor
- Weapons: Part 1 - Sai
- Weapons: Part 2 - Katana
- Goggles, Goggle Straps and Screen
- Final Lighting/Composite Nodes
- Promotional Character Scene